Late night weirdness and a loss of place

Posted this to my Tumblr last night, thought I'd share it here too.
So I had the weirdest dream and experience last night

In the dream, I was asleep but woke up to see my dad stapling plastic sheets (the kind that people cover their windows with in the winter to cut down on the wind coming through) and I think was enough to wake me up because I was going to find out why he was covering the window with plastic and then help him. So I wake up, it’s dark as dicks in my room still, but the modem/router’s LEDs are giving off enough light that I can see somewhat. Anyway, I look down at the floor next to the bed and I swear to god I thought I saw a small stack of plastic sheets like in the dream. So I grab my phone on the table and turn the screen on and everything so that I can use it and the little LED as a makeshift flashlight and shine them down at the floor.

The sheets were gone and by that point, my wits were coming about me and I figured out that I was seeing things.

The weird thing is, and I have no idea how many people have the same experience, is that sometimes if I wake up in the middle of the night, I’ll be really disoriented and confused to the point that not only do I forget where I am but that my bedroom is my bedroom. It’s like I’ll think that I’m still living in the old apartment and I can’t figure out where I am and what I’m doing here. It doesn’t last very long, usually just a few seconds until my brain sorts itself out, but it’s very unsettling.
And I'm not exaggerating, it is very unsettling to lose your sense of place, to spend a few frightened moments of not knowing where you are and wondering why you're in a strange room and how you got there. Thankfully, it's not a common occurrence so I don't have to deal with it often.

Comments